Sep 23, 2021
Today we have a somewhat unique episode for all of our
listeners, rounding up the news and information from the world of
finance and investment before we welcome Ben Rabidoux back to the
show. Ben was a guest on Episode 96, which aired early during the
pandemic last year, and we are so happy to have him here for
another appearance, to touch in with his real estate expertise, and
his thoughts on the current issues facing the Canadian housing
market. Ben is the Founder of Edge Realty Analytics and North Cove
Advisors and is essentially a real estate analyst, which means he
has many clients that are institutional investors and fund
managers, who he helps with the real estate side of their
portfolios. In this conversation, Ben gives us loads of insight
into the current landscape of Canadian real estate, the roots of
the contemporary conditions, and what the data can teach us about
the high prices that are so prevalent at present. We also hear from
Ben about some potential policy solutions, and how the pandemic has
affected the rental market. So for all this and a whole lot more in
today's episode, be sure to join us on the Rational Reminder
Key Points From This Episode:
- Some of the best media we have encountered recently; podcasts,
documentaries, and more. [0:02:01.3]
- News from the community and why we had to ban a user for the
first time. [0:03:46.1]
- Quick book reviews of the illuminating DeFi and the Future
of Finance and Blockchain Bubble or Revolution.
- Changes in the world of finance and investment; Walgreens' new
bank account and beyond. [0:12:22.3]
- Today's listener question dealing with research-based
investment decisions and frequently cited papers.
- Recent research from Robert Novy-Marx and Fama and French on US
value premiums and factors that matter.
- How to view the possibility of a replication crisis in finance.
- Findings on US exceptionalism and the relationship between
national economic growth and returns.
- Market crashes and the correlations between different
- Reflecting on Ben's appearance on the podcast during the early
weeks of the pandemic. [0:39:38.3]
- The last few decades of the 20th century and how that explains
the current climate. [0:43:50.2]
- The chronic issue of under-supply of housing from the industry.
- Housing policies that would support the current rates of
population growth. [0:48:20.4]
- Examples and thoughts on the recent house price increases.
- Statistics of homes bought by investors; surprising numbers and
data on purchases. [0:52:58.2]
- News from the rental market and the interesting ways the
pandemic affected it. [0:57:05.1]
- Common Canadian perspectives on the potential for housing
pricing to decline. [1:00:58.4]
- Ben's thoughts on possible solutions to the current problems in
the housing sector. [1:03:47.6]
- The significant role of the private debt market in Canadian
real estate. [1:08:02.2]
- What we can learn from historic data about the current housing
- Ben joins us for a round of questions from our Talking Sense
cards about savings, happiness, and flow states!