Nov 24, 2022
In this episode, we are joined by the CIO of Avantis Investors,
Eduardo Repetto, to have an in-depth conversation about his
philosophy and approach to many of the central concepts that are
important to our listeners. Eduardo weighs in on asset pricing
factor investing, premiums, and also shares some of his
perspectives on what makes Avantis different from its competitors.
Eduardo's wealth of experience and technical know-how make this
very practical exploration, complete with some inventive and
demonstrative analogies. Despite the high-level concepts discussed,
our guest's ability to communicate these in an accessible manner
also helped maintain a level of approachability throughout. Toward
the end of the episode, we get to hear a little about Eduardo's
Ph.D. in aeronautics and some of the surprising overlaps he sees
between his two fields of interest.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Eduardo's approach to communicating what Avantis can offer
their clients. (0:02:57)
- Advantages of the ETF structure for managing portfolios.
- Advice for investors for quantitatively assessing the expected
return advantage of a factor-tilted portfolio.
- Practical approaches for individual investors when assessing a
factor tilt in portfolios. (0:13:54)
- Eduardo unpacks the idea of trust in relation to the premium.
- When does a completely small-cap value portfolio make sense?
- Avantis' method for targeting value and profitability.
- The weighting of different metrics that Avantis uses when
building portfolios. (0:34:43)
- Eduardo unpacks cash profitability versus operating
- The approach at Avantis to sector weights.
- Understanding adjusted book value when pricing a company.
- Eduardo describes the premium for the Goodwill adjustment.
- How Avantis views pursuing credit premium in fixed income
- Determining the size of factors tilts on particular products.
- Reasons that there are no emerging market small cap value
- Comparing the research behind inflation-focused equity strategy
to a more general value profitability premium.
- Avantis' strategy for staying on the cutting edge of the latest
- Conversations between Avantis and American Century Investments
about different investment philosophies.
- Eduardo shares his opinion about Avantis' competitive
- Where Avantis and Eduardo are aiming their energy in the near
future, and the succession plan for the company.
- Some surprising similarities between aeronautics and asset
- Eduardo talks about his personal definition of success.
Links From Today’s Episode:
Rational Reminder on iTunes — https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-rational-reminder-podcast/id1426530582.
Rational Reminder Website — https://rationalreminder.ca/
Eduardo Repetto —
Avantis Investors — https://www.avantisinvestors.com/
Rational Reminder on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/rationalreminder/?hl=en
Rational Reminder on YouTube — https://www.youtube.com/channel/
Benjamin Felix — https://www.pwlcapital.com/author/benjamin-felix/
Benjamin on Twitter — https://twitter.com/benjaminwfelix
Benjamin on LinkedIn — https://www.linkedin.com/in/benjaminwfelix/
Cameron Passmore — https://www.pwlcapital.com/profile/cameron-passmore/
Cameron on Twitter — https://twitter.com/CameronPassmore
Cameron on LinkedIn — https://www.linkedin.com/in/cameronpassmore/