Jan 2, 2019
In this episode of the Rational Reminder Podcast we welcome
Robin Powell. Robin is a journalist and content creator who has
dedicated the more recent part of his career to helping spread the
word on research backed investing and turning the tide on the
history of investment advice. For Robin, this all came about from
an assignment he was working on and the feeling of shock he
experienced when he discovered the wealth of information that is
available to investors but how it is shielded by the majority of
investment advisors. Robin explains these experiences and why we
still see this in today’s marketplace. He chats to us about the
films he has produced on the subject and the great characters and
thought leaders with whom he has met. Robin is kind enough to open
up about his thoughts on the future of investing, regulation and
his hopes for the spread of this information. For all this and
more, be sure to join us!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Some of Robin’s background and previous work experience.
- Why Robin started spreading the evidence based investment
message . [0:02:38.9]
- The experience of speaking with industry leaders to make a
documentary film. [0:04:07.7]
- The impact of this and the subsequent films Robin has produced.
- Robin’s perspective on the Canadian financial industry.
- The impact of the change of rules for financial advisors in the
- The effect of RDR and claims about reduced access to advice.
- Difficulties in sharing information and changing people’s
- The role of the press in this dynamic and whether it can change
- Robin’s favorite interviews and encounters over the years.
- Looking to the future of the financial industry.
- Considering the role of the human financial advisor with the
rise of robo-advisors. [0:21:40.1]
- Robin’s own measure of success in his work
- Regulation in the pursuit of changing the approach of advisors.
- And much more!
For more information or to contact Cameron and Ben, visit