Apr 25, 2019
On the show today we welcome Dave Butler, who is now the co-CEO
of Dimensional Fund Advisors. We have a great conversation about a
wide range of topics from the beginnings of the firm, to his
earliest involvement, how he was nearly in the NBA and the
importance of trust and family. Dave takes us on a personal and
professional journey in science-based investing, who his biggest
influences and mentors are and how he found the path of fiducial
advice after a few different careers early on. We discuss
leadership, small cap stocks, efficient portfolios and the building
of trust with clients as we scan through the last 40 years or so
with our guest. Dave shares history and memories on some of the
landmark events in the field and Dimensional's story, spilling the
beans on his experiences with industry giants such as Gene Fama and
Merton Miller. For a great conversation with an open, honest and
inspiring person, be sure to tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- How Dave describes Dimensional.
- Dave's basketball career before finance.
- A 24 hour transition from sports to business.
- Leadership, drive and team mentality.
- The founding of Dimensional and the evolution of index funds.
- The early days of small cap stocks.
- Acting in the best interests of the clients and the rise of the
- The first financial advisor at Dimensional!
- Dave's own 'aha moment' and joining Dimensional.
- Independent advice and always acting in the best interests of
the client. [0:31:52.1]
- Building efficient investment portfolios for advisors.
- Access to Dimensional funds and the indispensability of
- Developing the essential element of trust.
- The expansion of the advisor role over the last 25 years.
- Dave's relationship with co-CEO Gerard O'Reilly.
- The incredible experience of working with leading minds in
- Dave's definition of success. [0:51:38.0]
- And much more!