May 5, 2022
As we near the 200th episode of our little podcast, we wanted to
have a chat with our friend Aydin Mirzaee about one of our
favourite topics: books. Before welcoming Aydin into the
conversation we round up some important news, go deeper than ever
into the fascinating subject of bonds, and share some thoughts
on Setting the Table. As the host of the
Supermanagers Podcast and the CEO of Fellow, Aydin has an unusual
and stimulating perspective on many of our usual interests, and we
get to hear from him about the development of his own reading
habit, what he most enjoys reading, what would make him recommend a
book to someone else, and few pieces of advice for strengthening
your reading practices. Aydin also talks about why advice can be
dangerous, increasing your ability to retain information, and he is
generous enough to do a round of Talking Sense cards with us to
finish off the episode. To hear it all, make sure to join us.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Today's book review, looking at Setting the Table by
Danny Meyers. [0:08:47]
- Christopher Bloomstran's thought-provoking critique of Ark
- A follow-up on our ongoing discussion about bonds and look at
their recovery time. [0:20:04]
- Comparing real returns across the different decades.
- Research into a more complete view of the historical returns of
stocks versus bonds. [0:39:31]
- How correlations come into the conversation about stocks and
- Aydin describes his reading habits; audiobooks on a commute,
hacks, and more.
- The different purposes of books and how Aydin uses business
content to generate ideas. [0:49:40]
- Books as leverage and some thoughts from Aydin on his favourite
- Where Aydin sources his books and what it takes for him to
decide to recommend books to others.
- The role that podcasts play in Aydin's reading habits.
- Aydin's advice for how to read more and his approach to
encouraging his children. [0:59:12]
- Considering different ways to increase information retention.
- A round of Talking Cents cards with Aydin!