Aug 12, 2022
In this episode, we speak to Quinn DuPont, a self-described
technology historian and researcher of everything crypto. He is
fascinated by what humans do and how technology affects what humans
do. Quinn focuses his research on the history, meaning, use, and
socio-technical development of cryptography. He has published many
academic papers on the subject, including the
book Cryptocurrencies and Blockchains, and is
currently an adjunct professor at the UBC School of Information. He
approaches investigating the world of crypto as a scientist making
him neither a skeptic nor a proponent of the technology, offering
listeners an objective perspective. In this episode, we unpack the
basics of crypto and take a deep dive into the theoretical and
technological concepts. We learn about the ideological foundations
of crypto, how crypto technology will impact governance, what the
definition of money is, the potential of the technology to society,
and the social components associated with cryptocurrencies. We also
find out the real value of crypto and learn about the ethical
challenges Quinn faces as a researcher in the space.
Key Points From This Episode:
- [0:05:16] The ideological worldview that
resulted in cryptocurrencies.
- [0:10:51] Quinn explains his standard
criticism of the critics.
- [0:13:43] Why the ideological origins of
crypto are irrelevant today.
- [0:15:50] The nuance surrounding the
immutability of crypto technology is discussed.
- [0:17:04] What the benefits of the
cryptosystem are for governance.
- [0:19:48] How well he thinks crypto fits
within a democratic society.
- [0:25:41] Reasons why political ideology needs
to be taken into account.
- [0:28:19] Quinn tells us his definition of
- [0:31:18] What impact decentralized
censorship-resistant monies have on society.
- [0:38:52] How valuable a cryptocurrency in the
real world is.
- [0:40:48] Why paying your taxes gives money
- [0:44:25] Whether Quinn considers Bitcoin to
- [0:46:09] He walks us through the benefits of
DeFi to societies.
- [0:49:30] We learn what the downsides of DeFi
to societies are.
- [0:50:22] Learn if blockchain solves any of
the problems that exist in traditional finance.
- [0:57:57] The advantages of bitcoin-based
technology for business logistics.
- [01:03:00] Why some blockchain business
technology is marketing hype.
- [01:04:32] How a DAO is different from a
- [01:10:24] Find out what would happen if we
turned our podcast into a DAO.
- [01:15:35] Whether smart contracts replicate
the role of traditional contractual relations.
- [01:19:51] Quinn outlines the ethical
challenges to researching cryptocurrencies and
- [01:27:32] Hear what he thinks the greatest
disappointments and successes of crypto are.
- [01:31:32] We end the show by finding out if
Quinn considers crypto and blockchain to be a technological